Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

About Halina's Karaoke ESL Edupunk



 Halina's Karaoke ESL Edupunk classes where my original materials to go with the song.
As for “are there gender-based or L1-based observable differences in their learning performance patterns in response to these two kinds of presentations?"
I would say that all depends on the requirements of particular learners as well as on our personal teaching preferences.
I introduce a new language by listening to real conversations, and all lessons are made up of talking and listening only. I teach grammar basically through situations with no reference to grammar rules at all.
 I don't teach grammar rules and isolated vocabulary. I teach conversational language.
My adult students are not into “abstract timelines or cartoon stick-figure-based presentations “.They want to speak the language, so I focus on dialogs and communication skills.
This is the link to previous debate;
As a non-native English teacher, I can be first-rate role model for my students who may not believe that they can ever learn the target language ("I learned this language well so you can too!").Personally I am against methods that emphasize learning about the language but for learning by using the language/ Expressions, collocations, models, patterns, language chunks......./
For my part, I don't approve grammar classes explaining rules and language terminology.
Moreover, I believe, the sooner a student learns to think in a foreign language, the faster she/he will learn. This can only take place if no reference at all is made to L1. They must be free from the interference of L1.
Maybe I am wrong?
On the top of this all, I distinguish that anyone who is learning a second language wishes and dreams about communicating as well as thinking in that language.
Teachers are duty-bound to take responsibility of effectiveness and encouragement of their own students, I think.

PS traditional method teaches you to read and write but not speak. Speaking is the main reason for learning a language and the main motivational driver that keeps you trying and improving. / Jason West /


No comments:

Post a Comment